Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Home Tour: Part 3

Living Room "Built Ins".
Our living room has vaulted ceilings which gives it a nice open feeling. It also means that we have a really large wall on the one side of the room. The before picture does not do justice to how "empty" this was seemed since you can't see the way it rose up above the piano. Trust me, the piano seemed a little small in this space. I always pictured some built in shelving on this wall, but I never wanted to spend the money. Enter the solution to many problems...Ikea!

We purchased Billy bookcases with extensions and my handy husband began to take my vision and turn it into a reality.

We took out the flimsy backing and replaced it with beadboard that was left over from Henry's nursery.

I painted the beadboard brown and I also swapped out the Ikea knobs for some with a little more substance.

We used the Billy wall shelf and added a single extension to make the bridge over the piano. To tie it all together Bob put crown molding across the top.

I am so happy with how this turned out. If you don't know any better you would think we had a built in bookcase on that wall. It is now a home for books and pictures, plus it hides Henry's toys, all thanks to my vision and Bob's hard work!

3 comments:

shelly said...

Sharon that is soooo nice, that is exactly what I have planned for the girls room around a window minus the doors, how funny, Painting the backing is a nice custom touch.

allie said...

That's exactly what I want in our living room around the t.v.! It looks great!

Vanessa, Vanessa Noel Events said...

sharon, you're brilliant :)