Saturday, June 19, 2010

Yosemite

To celebrate our anniversary this year, Bob and I went to Yosemite for the day. We decided to do a hike that we had done four years ago, starting on the valley floor, hiking up to Glacier Point and then taking the Panaroma Trail around the rim to Nevada Falls. We would then take the Mist Trail along Vernal Falls back down to the valley floor. Total miles to hike: between 12 and 13.

9:30 am, at the trail head that leads up to Glacier Point.

There were wonderful views of the valley floor and Yosemite Falls on our way up the mountain. With such a good snow year the falls were FULL.

We made it to Glacier Point by around 12:15 and ate our lunch. It was a long uphill climb with switchback after switchback.

Getting ready for the next leg of the hike. At least I knew the next few miles would be downhill!

We had made it to Nevada Falls and were now on the tailend of our hike. This is the view of Vernal Falls. The Mist Trail goes right next to this waterfall and is made up of steep steps carved from the rock. It was wet and slippery and my legs were shot. Let's just say I was very glad to make it down in one piece and taking that trail after hiking 12 miles will probably not be something I will ever do again!
It is now 6:30 pm and we made it! Seeing Yosemite from those vantage points is like none other, but I am not going to say it was a piece of cake. It was a challenge and I am glad I could share it with Bob. Who knows what we will do for our 34th!

No comments: