Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Work-cation

Last week we headed over to the beach for some relaxation and quite a bit of work. We did manage to spend a little time on the beach... and hold this little guy as much as possible.

Henry played a lot of "hitball" and "hoopball" with whoever was willing. Lucky for him Aunt Jill was available a good part of the week. The last day we were there John was playing with him in the front yard and he decided he needed a catcher's mask. This is what he came up with...

too funny!
The other reason we were all at the beach was to get some work done. Two years ago we redid the living room/kitchen/dining area. Last year we worked on the master bedroom and bathroom. This year our focus was the two downstairs bedrooms and bathroom. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I got no before pictures and only a few afters. The rooms are not totally complete, they still need some decor on the walls and new carpet, but for now they look so much better.

The first room used to have a bunk bed, plain white walls and vertical blinds on the sliding glass door. Now it looks like this...

We painted the walls a soft yellow, purchased a new daybed with a trundle, added blue and white striped bedding with floral pillows, and hung Ikea curtains with added trim on the door windows. We also got new blinds on the narrow window above the bed. This is also the new home for the happy red dresser. I love it in the room!



The second room got a fresh coat of paint (the same color that is in the entry). I also upholstered the existing headboard and installed lights. We took out the bulky dresser and added cubicles with storage next to the bed. It feels a lot roomier now. This room also got new blinds on the window. The quilt was already in there. I think it works really well with the new headboard.

The bathroom also got a fresh coat of paint, a new shower curtain, and a hook rail for towels. Alas, there are no pictures of the bathroom. Once I get a few things hung on the walls and the new curtains are hung I will post more pictures. Until then, the rooms are a lot more enjoyable to look at than they were before. Thanks to my family for all the help, and I promise that next year our vacation will not involve paint brushes!

2 comments:

JHNickodemus said...

Looking good! That catcher mask is funny! The things he comes up with!

Toni said...

The rooms look great! Although, I will miss those denim quilts...
LOVE the dresser. Please post your painting tips!