Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sweet Fellowship

My church plays a huge role in my life. Not only does it feed me spiritually, but in so many ways it serves as another family. It is no mistake that when people refer to their church they mention their "church family". We are there for each other in joy and in sorrow and I truly do not know how people without a church home get through things without one. One thing that I love about my church is the many traditions and how so many of them cross age barriors. I love the fact that our church has a thriving children's program, but we also have very active seniors. One event that brings the ages together is our annual Peppernut Baking Night. Early in April we get together to bake pan after pan after pan of these tasty, bite sized morsels and bag them up for sale at the West Coast Mennonite Central Committee Auction and Sale. The money raised there goes to aid and feed people in third world countries. The great thing about making peppernuts (which are small, bite sized cookies that can be made in about any flavor that you can imagine) is that anyone can participate. You just have to roll the dough out into a rope and then cut it into small pieces. We had good particiaption again this year, with some of the old faithfuls as well as a few new participants.

It is especially fun to make peppernuts with your grandma!
Rolling and cutting, rolling and cutting...

One of our youngest bakers with his grandpa.

My mom ...she organizes this event every year...have I mentioned that she is amazing?

I hope these girls will want to carry on this tradition some day!

The whole gang, hard at work.

Just a few of the MANY pans that we baked that night.

Bagging the cookies up for sale.

Ready to go...and yes we did sell out all of the peppernuts. Another successful year!



1 comment:

Katie said...

I wish I could've been there, it looked like fun...sometimes I just can't do it all.