Friday, July 10, 2009

Favorite Thing Fridays

Something that I spend alot of time doing (so therefore it must be one of my favorite things, right?) is trying to stay in shape. I walk, ride my bike, do some light weight work, jog on occasion, use the eliptical machine and teach a step aerobics class. Now I must say that I don't always love all those things WHILE I am doing them, but I am seriously addicted to how I feel when I am done. I am also scared to death to see what I would look like if I STOPPED doing all of these activities. The thing I enjoy doing the most is teaching my step class. I was prompted to post on this subject by my friend Liz, who has been coming to my class for several years. She thinks I like teaching because I like to inflict pain on the people in my class, but that is not really my motivation. I started doing aerobics 28 years ago, when John was just a baby (yes, this was the era of Jane Fonda, "feel the burn", leg warmers, colorful tights and french cut leotards...we were hot!) and I started teaching classes about a year later. It was such a great outlet for me as a young mother and it not only was good for my body, but it was good for my soul. I was able to enjoy some adult company and start to feel good about my body again after having a baby. I exercised with a great group of women in the nearby town of Wasco. About 16 years ago I was asked to start teaching a class at my church and we have been going strong ever since. The things I liked about aerobics at the beginning are the things I still like now. We are getting into shape while building friendships. I think that is worth a sore bum every now and then!

3 comments:

betsy said...

yay for sore bums! i loved class yesterday - looking forward to many more!

Vanessa, Vanessa Noel Events said...

you go sharon!! about 10 years ago, i was helping my mom clean out her room... i mean a REAL DEEP clean, and we had a wonderful laugh over the great turquoise, hot pink and lime green aerobics gear she still had tucked away :)

Kathleen said...

I totally remember my mom going to jazzercise class when I was little~ :)