Monday, January 24, 2011

Veggie Enchiladas

I am going to share an original recipe today. That means that it came from my brain, not a cookbook. The idea for the recipe, however, was not mine, it came from Bob. Let me explain. A couple of weeks ago he had dinner with Nathan and Adrianne down in Pasadena. He ordered spinach enchiladas and thought they were great. So great that he asked me to try and make them. So, from his description, I came up with a recreation of a dish that I never even tasted. From Bob's reaction I think I did ok. He asked for a repeat performance the following week. I hope you enjoy them as well!

The ingredients: Corn tortillas (I used LaTortilla Factory Handmade Tortillas...I HIGHLY recommend them. They are thicker and more pliable, perfect for this recipe.), olive oil, onion (about 1/2 of one, finely diced), red bell pepper (1/2 of one, finely diced), 2 zucchinis (diced in small pieces), one bag of baby spinach, cilantro, one can of green enchilada sauce (I used Los Palmas, it was good), small can of evaporated milk, sour cream, avocado.

Chop up all your veggies and have them ready and organized.

Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Toss in the onion and bell pepper and saute till softened.

Add the zucchini and saute a couple of minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.

In the meantime, heat your enchilada sauce and evaporated milk (about 3/4 of a can) till bubbly. Let simmer for 10 minutes or so until slightly thickened.

Once the zucchini is softened toss in the spinach. It looks like a huge amount, but don't worry, in a few minutes it will....

look like this. Season with a little more salt and pepper and add cilantro to your taste.

Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and organize your vegtables and sauce. Dip your tortillas in the enchilada sauce.

Put a generous spoonful of veggies on the tortilla and roll it up. Place it seam side down.

Once they are all rolled, pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.

Serve with sour cream, avocado and a sprinkle of cilantro. I hope you like them!
Veggie Enchiladas
Onion (about 1/2)
Red Bell Pepper
2 zucchinis
1 bag baby spinach
Cilantro
Olive Oil (1-2 Tblsp)
1 can green enchilada sauce (I recommend Los Palmas)
1 small can evaporated milk
Corn tortillas (I recommend "handmade" style like LaTortilla Factory)
Grated cheese
Sour cream, avocado and cilantro for garnish
Dice the onion, bell pepper and zucchini. Saute onion and bell pepper in olive oil till soft. Add zucchini and saute till soft. Add spinach and cook till just wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Add cilantro to taste. Heat enchilada sauce and about 3/4 of the can of milk till bubbly. Let simmer till slightly thickened. Did tortillas in the sauce and then fill with a spoonful of the vegtables. Roll and place seam side down in casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. When all enchiladas are in the pan, pour the remaining sauce over the top and then sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Serve with sour cream, avocado and a sprinkle of cilantro. Rice and beans will round out the meal! This recipe makes 8 enchiladas.

No comments: