Today's Favorite Thing is Fudgy Oatmeal Bars (aka Fudgiebrowniecookiebars). These cookies are a favorite on many levels. First of all, I love to bake, and I especially love to bake cookies. These cookies happen to be my most requested recipe. They are a favorite to many people, the first being the awesome Kern County Crushers Special Olympic Tennis Team that Bob coaches. I sent these cookies along on one of the first trips Bob took with the team about 8 years ago and now they are a requirement. The batch I baked today will be for the Crushers. Once I sent along Chocolate Chip cookies and there was much disappointment on the team bus ride so now I make sure I send the right cookie!
These cookies have also been requested many times by this lovely group of ladies. Ever since high school these girls have been enjoying "Fudgiebrowniecookiebars" as often as I will make them
They were even a part of Allie's delicious cookie bar at her wedding reception!

I found this recipe years ago at my mother-in-laws house, and as you can see it has been used a few times! This cookie is a perfect blend of a chewy oatmeal cookie base and a rich, fudgy chocolate filling. Try it yourself, I know you won't be sorry! But pleased be warned, they are slightly addictive.
Oatmeal Layer
1 Cup Softened butter
2 Cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 Cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 Cups oatmeal
Fudge Layer
2 cups chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tblsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Spread 2/3 of dough into jelly roll sized cookie sheet. Make the fudge layer by putting chips, cond. milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes on high. Add vanilla and salt and stir till smooth. Pour fudge layer over oatmeal layer. Top with the remaining dough by dropping in clumps. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Let cool and cut into bars.
Spread in pan using the heel of your hand. The dough is STICKY so sprinkle the dough with flour so that it is easier to spread.






3 comments:
One of my most favorite things in the whole world!!!
I'm drooling. YUM. I couldn't help but notice you made them for the CRUSHERS...I'm thinking of joining the team just for the fudgiebrowniecookiebars!
Huge hit for Mother's Day visits. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Post a Comment