Friday, January 9, 2009

Bedroom Makeover

If you have been following my little blog you have seen the results of my kitchen and living room makeovers. Those were both done 2-3 years ago. Last spring I started tackling the rest of the house. The first room I worked on in this latest spree of decorating was John's old room, which is now our main guest room.



This before picture shows the khaki wall color, plaid bedding and pictures on the wall of John in his youth. (Note the Dodger trash can lurking behind the cabinet)









And now the dramatic after, drum roll please!






I had been wanting a chocolate brown room, but I didn't think I could live in it all the time. This room was the perfect solution. I can know that it is there waiting for me to come in and visit, but I don't have to see it all the time! It really is like walking into the middle of a fudge brownie and who wouldn't want that in their house? I love the way the green and white play off of the brown as well. This room was really done on a budget and I was able to reuse a lot of things I already had. The nightstands were from our master bedroom (we got new furniture in there). They started out a light stained pine (did I mention my early country phase?). In their next life they were painted black and now they have been reincarnated white with new hardware from Ikea. Their sister, the armoire, is now making her home in John and Katie's living room. Other things from Ikea were the clock, lamps, curtains and the flower vase and flowers. The white bedspread was a cheapy from Target and the brown spread and pillows were found at West Elm on clearance. The headboard is just some 1x12 wood that Bob cut out for me. I upholstered each piece (with fabric found on clearance from Hancocks) and then he connected the wood together. Not in the picture is a trunk at the foot of the bed that Bob had when he was in college. It is painted green and the top is upholstered in clearance fabric as well. The finishing touch was new carpet (not on the cheap list!). I like this room, it makes me feel happy :)

3 comments:

Sra. Brooks said...

and it is a lovely guest suite. :)

Vanessa, Vanessa Noel Events said...

i LOVE this room! i've always wanted a chocolate brown room too, but feel the same way.

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is a beautiful room, Sharon. Well done!